Sunday, April 3, 2011

Shrimp Pasta and Grilled Pork steaks with Grill Asparagus

It was a weekend of yummy dinners.  Saturday Night we made shrimp pasta!

downsized_0402011653

Sorry the photo was from my cell phone.  Anyway I used a lot of veggies in this dish to off set the carbs in the pasta.  I actually only cooked 2 servings of pasta for 4 people.  While the pasta was cooking I combined the following in a large pan:

  • 1 Tbsp of EVOO
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • zucchini
  • 1/2 yellow squash
  • Portabella mushroom
  • 1/2 sweet onion
  • Crushed garlic

After all the veggies were cooked, about 4-6 minutes, I added the cooked shrimp to heat it up.  Adding salt, pepper, basil, oregano and some fresh green onions completed the veggies and protein.

The sauce was very easy.  In a small pan I heated 1 tablespoon of basil infused canola oil.  Once that was heated I added a tablespoon of corn starch and whisked to blend.  This helps take the taste of the cornstarch down a notch.  Be careful not to burn it to the bottom, you just want everything blended.  Then whisk in 1 cup of chicken broth or stock.  Wisk in slowly to avoid bumps.  As the chicken broth begins to boil it will thicken. Keep whisking and add 3 Tbsp. of grated parmesan cheese.

It was really yummy.  David had 2 servings!

Tonight for dinner we had grilled pork steaks and asparagus.

downsized_0403011614

I just used some of my in-laws seasoning on the pork steaks with a little salt and pepper.  On the asparagus I sprinkled EVOO and balsamic vinegar along with black pepper and sea salt.  The dressing from the asparagus dripped down onto the pork!  It was so yummy!

I completed it with a salad, you could add some red potatoes or rice to complete the meal but I was trying to cut back on the carbs.

David finished the night with this:

downsized_0403011736

I had a 55 calorie protein smoothie!

No comments: